Auditions for 2013-2014, Vox's 17th season are now CLOSED!
If you are interested in auditioning next year, you may complete the online audition form and someone will be in touch with you in July 2014 to schedule an appointment for our August audition dates.
ORGANIZATION & Audition FAQs
Who are we?
Founded in 1997 by a group of vivacious women and headed by Dr. Iris Levine, Vox Femina Los Angeles (Vox) prides itself on performing quality choral music with a commitment to community, social equality and musical excellence. Vox is composed of women of different ages and different backgrounds, but the one thing we share is the love and passion for singing!
New singers should have:
What kind of time commitment does membership require?
Vox seasons run from early September to the end of June, with weekly rehearsals and three major concerts. Singers are expected to commit to our rehearsal and performance schedule for a minimum of one year. Attendance at rehearsals and performances is mandatory.
- Held every Tuesday night from 7:30-9:45 p.m. at First Congregational Church of Los Angeles on 6th and Commonwealth in Koreatown.
- A dress rehearsal, in addition to the regular weekly rehearsal, is held during the week prior to each major concert.
- Additional rehearsals may be required at the discretion of the Artistic Director.
- While not mandatory, singers are encouraged to attend Sectionals hosted by singers throughout the season typically during weekends and in singers’ homes in different parts of Los Angeles.
- Major Vox concerts are held in November, March and June on Saturday nights at the Colburn School of Music in Zipper Hall in downtown Los Angeles or other nearby venues.
- To fulfill our Mission Statement, community performances are scheduled from time to time. Any additional performance requests are brought to membership to determine feasibility.
- A detailed schedule of all confirmed dates for the upcoming season will be provided at audition time.
- All singing members pay annual membership dues of $170 to help cover operational expenses.
- A refundable deposit of $25 for music and a black performance folder for the duration of membership.
- Other costs that members can expect are associated with, but not limited to: travel to and from rehearsals, parking at performance spaces, concert attire, touring, retreats and social events. Social events are optional and scholarships may be available for touring.
- The ability to fulfill our Mission Statement and strive for a musical performance of high quality. Therefore, the ability to read, rehearse and learn your music in a timely manner is of the utmost importance.
- Vox requires that each singer purchase her own concert attire. For most concerts, this will be a dressy, elegant, all black, long-sleeved or ¾-length sleeved ensemble with black shoes and hose. The Membership Handbook and Wardrobe committee will cover this topic in-depth.
- As singers, you may be approached during the season to volunteer your talents, skills, additional time or resources into organizational events and fundraisers. While participation is voluntary, it is always welcomed and greatly appreciated!
- Singers will have the opportunity to perform at special events. Past appearances have included:
- Singing the National Anthem for the LA Sparks (September 2013)
- Singing at the Opening Ceremonies at LA City Hall to kick off LA's LGBT History Month
- Performing at the American Choral Director’s Association National Convention.
- Caroling with Tim Robbins and the Actor’s Gang in Culver City.
- Performing as a part of Los Angeles County Holiday Celebration at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.
- Performing Mahler's 8th Symphony with The Mahler Project in 2012 under the baton of Gustavo Dudamel.
- Performing Holst's The Planets with the LA Philharmonic.
- Singers will be invited to social gatherings and retreats for a chance to mingle outside of our normal rehearsal space!
The audition consists of two parts: a musical audition and an interview. The entire process takes approximately 30 minutes.
During the interview, you will meet with a small group of singers and board members who may ask you questions such as:
- What brought you to Vox?
- What - if any - are your expectations of the organization?
- How do you feel you can contribute toward the growth of Vox and have you demonstrated this ability in the past with other organizations?
Also during this process, the committee will give you a schedule for the entire season and review responsibilities of membership with you. This will be the perfect time for you to ask any questions!
Ready to perform with us?
Fill out this online audition form and the Audition Coordinator will be in touch! If you are unable to join us this season or have missed the audition dates, fill out the form and we will keep you posted on any possible openings and contact you when auditions are next available!
We can't wait to hear from you!